What is React.js?
When considering a website as traditional HTML pages, a react app only consists of one single page, index.html. But we can also build multi-page websites using React. You can refer to the below article to get the technique.
In this app actually it consists of one single HTML page index.html. All other pages you are viewing when clicking links are components. React-router-dom, a package is used to route between these components. So the user feels those are multiple pages.
Who created React.js
A software engineer Jordan Walke created react; interestingly, he was one of the software engineers that was working for Facebook. He released an early prototype of React called “FaxJS”.
So, as a company, Facebook is the creator of the React.js library.
Why do we need to use React.js in our web project? The answer for this question actually contain some of the benefits of react. But we will discuss the benefits later and now understand why React.js is used.
- Using React.js, we can build web applications in lesser time and effort. Components, States, props, etc. make it easier to handle a web app. We will discuss these terms later.
- Developing a website is easier. Opening Notepad on your system, type some HTML codes and save it in .html format. Yes, basically it is a web page. To add some styles, and functions we create a .css and .js file, add codes and add it to the HTML file have created.
- Then why do you need to use a library like React.js? Actually we can code any type of website using HTML, CSS, and JS. But it took a lot of time and effort to build a large project in this method.
- Some libraries and frameworks are available to help you. React.js is one of them. Using React, we can partition our app as components.
- I recommend React.js for creating web apps instead of websites. Because when loading a React web app, it downloads a bundle containing all the UI structures to be browser first. It took some time. But after downloading the bundle it’s super fast.
Frameworks like Angular, Vue, etc. are there as an alternative to React. But React is the best in this section I think. Because it’s fast, easily scalable, and straightforward. These factors you would be able to notice when you create an extensive web application with the help of React.
Because with the help of React, you can easily create large web applications that can change their data without even reloading the page, so just the changeable data gets altered and nothing else.
Who is using React.js
Several older companies and even new startups are using React JS because of the features offered to its users by the React team. Facebook and Instagram are the top companies in this list. Other giants using React as their technology to build and maintain their web applications are listed below.
Benefits of Using React.js for Web Development
Let us have a look at the top 10 benefits of React.js because of which it is listed as the best for web application development-
1. Support for JSX syntax extension
2. Virtual DOM support
You must have noticed that whenever the developers have to make some changes in a single component of an already-built web application. At that time, they had had to face several problems. From which some of them are compilation errors, some components fail because of change in another element, or many more such issues.
But in the case of React JS with the help of VDOM, you will never face any such problem as whenever you make some changes in the web application. Firstly, you would be shown a review from VDOM, and if everything goes fine, then you can apply those changes.
With the help of VDOM, you would be able to get the fastest rendering for your web application. The primary reason behind VDOM’s fast working is that it works in layers. When changes are made, the changes are even applied in layers.
Note:- Fiber is the new reconciliation engine in React 16. Its main goal is to enable incremental rendering of the virtual DOM.
Let us have a look at some benefits of VDOM-
- The first benefit of VDOM is that whenever there’s a change in the web application, the whole UI will be rendered in the VDOM representation.
- With the help of VDOM, you would be shown the actual changes that you would be able to see with the changes made in the components.
- After you have seen the changes and everything is correct, you can apply those changes, and hence, the real DOM would be updated.
3. Stability in code
With React JS, you get the most stability in your Code; this is because when even a small change is made at that time. The change is only made on that particular component, while the parent structure is not disturbed. This is the reason coding on React JS is the most stable.
4. SEO friendly
Another benefit of using React JS is that it automatically deals with common search engine optimization failures. Hence, we can say that it’s SEO friendly.
5. Easier Conversion from a React.js Web App to a Mobile App
React Native a cross-platform mobile application development framework helps you build mobile applications using the same code structure you used to develop the web app. The app will be compatible with both Android and iOS platforms.
6. It Offers a Helpful Developer Toolset
The sixth benefit in the list is that with React JS, you are offered a helpful developer toolset. With the help of this toolset, you would be able to make your development journey with React JS more enjoyable and easier. Moreover, these developer tools can be used for both Chrome and Firefox as it’s available in the form of a browser extension.
7. Easy to Learn
You can quickly learn React JS. If you are getting started with it, then fetch some knowledge about CSS and HTML before moving to React JS.
8. Community Support
React Library is being supported by Facebook and Instagram, which states that an active community is backing it. Moreover, with the help of which they are making several changes in the React library daily for a better experience.
Pros and Cons of React.js
In this world, nothing is perfect. Everything has its advantaged and disadvantages. Let us have a look at the Pros and Cons of React.js.
- With the help of VDOM, the overall experience of development is better and faster.
- We can even reuse React components with the help of which we can save our time.
- The one-way data flow helps us offer a stable code.
- The React.js environment keeps on changing, and new things are adding up daily. Because of which the developers should learn new things every day and can’t just rely on their older knowledge.
- Several React users think they are uploading poor documentations.
Best sources to learn React.js
1. A lot of tutorials are there to learn React. But I recommend referring the official documentation before stepping to any of them.
2. After getting a basic idea about Components, States, Props, and workflow, build a simple counter app.
3. If you are looking to build a React app with backend support, please refer to the article below.
4. A complex React application requires a state management tool like Redux. Learn some basic redux
5. Now you can try building a simple counter app in React.js with the help of Redux.
6. Now learn Hooks.
7. Try to build some sample applications using Hooks.
Other than the Benefits, we have discussed a lot about React in this tutorial including, What is React, Who created it, Why do we need to use it, some famous companies using React.js, Features, and Pros, and Cons. I have also provided some sources and URLs which help you learn React.js easily.