What is React.jS?
Who created React.js
A software engineer Jordan Walke created react; interestingly, he was one of the software engineers that was working for Facebook. He released an early prototype of React called “FaxJS”.
If you are interested in following Jordan, take a look at his Twitter profile.
Who is using React.js
Several older companies and even new startups are using React JS because of the features offered to its users by the React team. Facebook and Instagram are the top companies in this list. Other giants using React as their technology to build and maintain their web applications are listed below.
Features of React.js
Several questions were pointing out regarding the naming of React JS, so let me tell you that it has a total of three names those are React JS, React, and React.js.
Let us now have a thorough look at the features of React JS.
1. JSX support
2. The power of Redux
Components follow the tree structure and hence the states needed for each component need to be passed as the props. This is not a big issue in the case of a basic react application. But when things go high, passing states as props will not be a good option. Redux is the solution to this problem.
Note: It doesn’t need to use a Redux inside a React app with fewer components and states. This makes our project more complicated.
3. React Native
React Native is the libraries that other application platforms can use for getting react architecture. Some of those platforms are iOS and Android.
Some interesting facts about React Native
- React native is built by Facebook, and it an open-source library.
- Several companies have started using React Native for their app development.
- You can even integrate react native in any already built android or iOS application.
- Single-way data flow- In the web development field, you must have noticed how difficult it is to retrieve back or make changes in the components created. But when you are using or developing with React, you would be able to make modifications easily as you would be offered a call back function. This whole process of using the call back function is called Properties flow down: actions flow up.
- This single way of data flow is specially created by taking care of the problem of making changes in web development.
- Virtual Document Object Model- Here, we are going to have a look at another problem that several web developers face. That is when they make changes in a single component of the web application. At that time, they have had to make changes on the whole page, and in this case, they have had to do more work.
- While, when you are using React JS, you will notice that with the help of an in-memory data structure cache. Only the place where changes are done gets only changes, and nothing else would be affected. With this feature, the react library only renders those components, which are changed.
- Do you know that right now, React is working on making a change into their React’s core, which is the addition of React fiber. As whenever there was animation or any other such gesture in the web application, the VDOM was unable to make it highly suitable. But with the help of React Fiber. They would be able to enhance the suitability in places such as animations, gestures, and many more.
Why is React.js the best?
2. Easy to learn
It is said that those who are already linked with programming can easily learn React JS, which is true but I think that React JS is so simple, exciting and easy to learn that those who are not linked to programming before they would be able to learn it easily. In case you are new to React JS, let me tell you that you need to have knowledge of CSS and HTML for getting started with it.
3. JSX support
4. React Native Approach
5. Data Binding
Firstly, React JS uses a one-way data-binding feature, and under this type of data binding you, everything works in a series. Moreover, the plus point of one-way data binding used by React JS is that you would be able to control the overall flow of all components present with the help of the dispatcher. We can say that it’s a control point.
Let us have a look at some of the benefits of using one-way data binding feature-
The first and most crucial benefit of one-way data binding offered by React JS is that it would be easier to debug the various components of React JS web applications.
The second crucial benefit of one-way data binding is that you would be able to track down changes easily.
The last benefit in the list is that the overall process of problem tracing in a one-way data-binding system is way lot more comfortable and faster.
Here’s one more reason to fall in love with React JS, and that is it’s super easy testing ability. In React, you can directly treat react views as functions and hence would be able to have a look at outputs, actions, events, and many more things related to testing.
What Are the Benefits of Using React.js for Web Development
Let us have a look at the top 10 benefits of React JS because of which it is listed as the best for web application development-
1. Support for JSX syntax extension
2. Virtual DOM support
You must have noticed that whenever the developers have to make some changes in a single component of an already-built web application. At that time, they had had to face several problems. From which some of them are compilation errors, some components fail because of change in another element, or many more such issues.
But in the case of React JS with the help of VDOM, you will never face any such problem as whenever you make some changes in the web application. Firstly, you would be shown a review from VDOM, and if everything goes fine, then you can apply those changes.
With the help of VDOM, you would be able to get the fastest rendering for your web application. The primary reason behind VDOM’s fast working is that it works in layers. When changes are made, the changes are even applied in layers.
Note:- Fiber is the new reconciliation engine in React 16. Its main goal is to enable incremental rendering of the virtual DOM.
Let us have a look at some benefits of VDOM-
The first benefit of VDOM is that whenever there’s a change in the web application, the whole UI will be rendered in the VDOM representation.
With the help of VDOM, you would be shown the actual changes that you would be able to see with the changes made in the components.
After you have seen the changes and everything is correct, you can apply those changes, and hence, the real DOM would be updated.
3. Stability in code
With React JS, you get the most stability in your Code; this is because when even a small change is made at that time. The change is only made on that particular component, while the parent structure is not disturbed. This is the reason coding on React JS is the most stable.
4. SEO friendly
Another benefit of using React JS is that it automatically deals with common search engine optimization failures. Hence, we can say that it’s SEO friendly.
5. It Offers a Helpful Developer Toolset
The sixth benefit in the list is that with React JS, you are offered a helpful developer toolset. With the help of this toolset, you would be able to make your development journey with React JS more enjoyable and easier. Moreover, these developer tools can be used for both Chrome and Firefox as it’s available in the form of a browser extension.
6. Easier Conversion from a React.js Web App to a Mobile App
7. Easy to Learn
You can quickly learn React JS. If you are getting started with it, then fetch some knowledge about CSS and HTML before moving to React JS.
8. Community Support
React Library is being supported by Facebook and Instagram, which states that an active community is backing it. Moreover, with the help of which they are making several changes in the React library daily for a better experience.
Pros and Cons of React.js
In this world, nothing is perfect. Everything has its advantaged and disadvantages. Let us have a look at the Pros and Cons of React.js.
- The first Pros of React JS is that with the help of VDOM, the overall experience of development is better and faster.
- We can even reuse React components with the help of which we can save our time.
- The one-way data flow helps us offer a stable code.
- The React.js’s environment keeps on changing, and new things are adding up daily. Because of which the developers should learn new things every day and can’t just rely on their older knowledge.
- Several React users think they are uploading poor documentations.
Best sources to learn React.js
The tutorial page from the official React.js website is the best source of learning React.js. I have put the link below.
If you want to learn React.js in a week, the below sources will help.
1. First of all, take a look at the official documentation page of React below.
2. Now try to build a simple counter app using React.
3. Now, familiar with the AJAX and API’s in React
4. After that, you can easily create any kind of React application. The below guide will help you to build a sample app.
5. If you are building a complex project in React.js with a lot of components Passing data between components using props may not be a good choice, because it makes it difficult to manage your project.
So that learning Redux and applying it on our project will make it easier to work with a complex app. The below link will make you understand about Redux.
6. Now you can try building a simple counter app in React with the help of Redux.
Other than the Benefits of React.js, we have discussed a lot about React in this tutorial including, What is React, Who created React, Why do we need to use React.js, some famous companies using React.js, Features, and Pros, and Cons. I have also provided some sources and URLs which help you learn React.js easily
I know that the length of this article became some bigger but it contains all the points about React.js that you want to know before stepping to it.