Are you a web developer and want to try your hands in mobile application development? If yes, React Native, a cross-platform application development framework will help you. A lot of alternatives are there but here in this article, we will discuss the benefits of using React Native for mobile app development.
Table of contents–
- What is React Native
- Why React Native
- Who created React Native
- Who is using React Native
- Benefits of using React Native
- Pros and Cons
- Alternatives of React Native
- Some sources to learn React Native
What is React Native?
Think that you have developed a web application using the React.js library and you need a mobile application for it. You don’t have enough time and developers. In this situation, React Native will help you.
Why React Native
You can develop a mobile app for the Android platforms using the Android studio platform, and iOS apps using Xcode. But it takes a lot of time because, to develop Android apps, you need to learn Java and for iOS app, you need to learn Swift/Objective C.
That is why cross-platform mobile app development frameworks are doing great nowadays. React Native is not only the one in this category. Flutter, Ionic, Xamarin, etc. are for the same purpose. But Why React Native?
- Also, you can convert your React web app to a mobile app easily with React Native.
- Huge community support will help you throughout the development.
Who created React Native
The Facebook company is behind the React Native framework. They implemented it in their own products, Facebook, Instagram et.
Who is using React Native
A lot of companies are using React Native to build mobile apps. Here is the list of some most popular companies that use React Native.
There are many more companies that use React Native for its highly beneficial features that it offers, but the above list companies are some of them.
Benefits of using React Native
Now, let us have a look at the top 10 benefits that React Native offers to its users.
1. Cross-platform support
You would be able to create the same application for both platforms at the same time, although there would be some complications. But the React Native team is working on it regularly to provide the best experience to their users.
2. Building Faster Native apps is easier
3. Platform support
The fourth benefit in the list is that you don’t need any other platforms to support, such as Swift, Objective-C or Java. React Native would be able to provide you with high-quality service under mobile application development.
4. Users feel high transparency
It works extensively on mobile UI. Moreover, it also compares it’s UI with other available platforms so that the user can feel high transparency.
6. Converting a React web app to mobile app is easy using React Native
It is so simple to work with. Moreover, developers would be able to convert their web applications into a mobile-based application with the help of React Native.
7. React Native apps perform as same as Native apps
Every application that’s created with React Native would be able to perform like a native app easily.
8. Usage of third-party plugins are allowed
You would be able to use third-party plugins in it, and you will never face any lag in the running of those plugins.
9. Used by some giant companies
React Native is being used by several companies, and it still growing regularly. Several updates are being included to make it better than before.
Pros & Cons
Let us have a look at the list of Pros & Cons of React Native
- React Native is best known for providing high-quality and faster service to its users.
- Developers would be able to reuse the codes that they have created with React Native for different platforms.
- You would be able to use a feature called Hot Reloading with the help of which making changes in an application built with React Native.
- The first disadvantage the React Native is facing that it is new, and not everyone knows about it.
- If you are new to development, then it could be a bit difficult for you to learn React Native programming.
- Although it is fast it takes more time in initializing.
Alternatives of React Native
Here’s an entry from Google, with the help of which developers can create beautiful native IOS and Android applications in a record time. Dart, a powerful programming language is used to code mobile apps using Flutter. Dart language is so much fast and efficient compared to any other languages.
Ionic Framework is the free, open-source mobile UI toolkit for developing high-quality cross-platform apps for native iOS, Android, and the web—all from a single codebase.
It gives us the freedom to write our code in React, Angular, or Vue.js. It is easy to build and deploy a mobile application using the technology we already knew. This is the main advantage of the Ionic framework.
Other features of this framework are,
- 100+ mobile-optimized React UI components
- Standard React tooling with
- iOS / Android / Electron / PWA
If we are good in .NET or C#, we can definitely build a mobile application also. Xamarin a free cross-platform mobile application development framework by Microsoft is the tool for it.
We can develop apps that support multiple platforms with one codebase using Apache Cordova.
Adobe PhoneGap is a distribution of Apache Cordova. With the help of PhoneGap, you would be able to create cross-platform mobile applications quickly. The steps are very easy in building a mobile app using PhoneGap.
- First, download a desktop application by PhoneGap.
- Download a mobile app.
- Start developing.
If you are a bit confused, the official Getting Started guide will help you.
Some sources to learn React Native
After learning React, we can easily step towards React Native. Install React Native on our system first, and learn some basics. The Getting Started guide will help us in this.
After learning some basic React Native, we can easily build some sample apps. The below guides will help us to do this.
So we have explained a lot about React Native. Other than the benefits, we explained What is React Native, some facts, features, companies using React Native, Pros & Cons and some sources to learn React Native quickly. Some sources are also provided to learn and practice React Native.